Montillo Italian Foods is a family-owned and operated business. Husband and wife team Gregorio (Greg) and Deena Montillo are pleased to bring you Vino Cotto, a naturally sweet, cooked grape must syrup.
Each fall when the Montillo family makes their wine, they also make vino cotto for their personal use. They’ve been doing so for at least four generations in a small, historic mountaintop town called Montepaone in Calabria, Italy. Since 1970, Greg’s immediate family carries on these traditions in Massachusetts.
Greg and Deena are very proud to share with you a piece of their Italian heritage, Vino Cotto. An authentic condiment and ingredient that families throughout the Mediterranean have enjoyed for centuries.
I saw Vino Cotto di Montillo while shopping at the Whole Foods Market and contacted them! I love my salads and veggies dressed with a light dressing so I knew I would LOVE to try this! They were very gracious and sent me a Bottle to try!
The history behind vino cotto is that it was used as a natural sweetener throughout the Mediterranean dating back to ancient Greek and Roman times.
Southern Italians have traditionally called this naturally sweet syrup “vino cotto” which translates to “cooked wine.” However, vino cotto contains no alcohol. And, Vino Cotto di Montillo contains no vinegar, making it quite a versatile ingredient or condiment! Its robust, plum-raisin flavor complements many foods. As for its consistency, Vino Cotto isn’t as thick as a honey or maple syrup so it is very easy to be creative with it.
I love to drizzle Vino Cotto di Montillo on salads as is (I don’t add another thing except cracked pepper!) I love it on fresh berries, on fresh baked breads, drizzled over mozzarella, on all my veggies and even sprinkled on sandwiches! Vino Cotto di Montillo is Heaven on a baked potato! It adds such flavor to EVERYTHING!!
There are so many uses for Vino Cotto di Montillo
- Use in place of honey or golden syrup when baking biscuits, cookies or cakes.
- Use on desserts! Drizzle on ice cream or cake or fresh berries! OMGOSH sooo good on fresh strawberries! 🙂
- Make your own balsamic vinegar (see the recipe page below)
- Make delish salad dressings and vinaigrette’s!
- Use when roasting your Veggies 🙂 makes all the difference in the world!
- Makes delicious sauces for meats, poultry and seafood
Still looking for ways to use Vino Cotto di Motillo? You’ll find some great Recipes here.
Original Vino Cotto Chocolate Truffles are exclusively prepared by Montillo Italian Foods. Each handmade, dark chocolate truffle contains their authentic Vino Cotto syrup and are drizzled with milk chocolate. Quality ingredients and attention to a centuries-old tradition make these decadent, creamy chocolate treats a mouthwatering and incomparable experience! Vino Cotto Chocolate Truffles come in boxes of either 4 pieces, or 12 pieces
HERE’S HOW TO WIN…
1. YOU MUST DO THIS FIRST or all other entries will be DELETED! Please visit Montillo Italian Foods shop around then tell me something you learned or why you want to try Vino Cotto! (1 entry)
2. Subscribe by Email and Confirm that Subscription (1 entry)
3. Subscribe to Leslie Loves Veggies in a Reader (1 entry)
4. Follow Me on Blogger (1 entry)
5. Follow ME on Twitter (1 entry)
6. Leave a Tweet and the direct link to that tweet (1 entry) You can do this Daily
7. FOR 5 EXTRA ENTRIES – Blog about this giveaway, with a link to my blog and come back and leave the link to your blog post. Post FIVE separate comments that you’ve blogged about this.
8. **ADD MY NEW BUTTON TO YOUR SIDEBAR (5 SEPARATE ENTRIES)**
9. Add Leslie Loves Veggies to your blogroll (using my URL), with a link back to me! (1 entry)
10. Fave me on Technorati and leave your User Name in comments. (1 entry)
Easy Peasy Right! LEAVE YOUR EMAIL IN YOUR COMMENT SO I CAN REACH YOU IF YOU WIN! For full list of rules please read HERE. Giveaway will end on Tuesday 1/19. U.S. & Canadian entrants only. Many thanks to Montillo Italian Foods for this Review and Giveaway Opportunity!
No Purchase Necessary. Void where prohibited by law. I was provided a product or sample for this Review & Giveaway..