How Fresh is the Air In Your Home?
When you walk through your front door does the air in your home smell fresh and clean? My home is locked up tighter than Fort Knox during the summer. It’s so darned hot here in Georgia that after the middle of May the windows are not cracked open, the doors aren’t left open and the only fresh air my homes sees is when I try to scoot an errant fly or mosquito out the door. We keep the air conditioner running 24-7.
Between the stinky puppy, cooking odors and the windows and doors being shut my home could become musty and smelly quickly. On the contrary, my home always smells terrific and my twin even remarks how fresh and clean my home smells every time she walks in the door. I used to use air freshener sprays to cover up nasty pet and cooking odors. But they just mask unpleasant odors and release volatile organic compounds (VOCs) ¹ into the air. I still use scented candles because I love the ambiance they create but I’m super careful about the types I choose! Many create so much soot they leave mirrors and windows with a filmy haze.
Spruce Up Your Home the Eco-Friendly Way!
Every home has areas that need freshening up and mine is no different so I’ve turned to healthy living expert, Building Biologist and author Lisa Beres for some tips ‘n tricks to keep my home fresh during the summer months ahead.
Problem – Pests and insect
Solution: Pesky ants and other insects can make their way into your kitchen pantry when they’re on a mission to find food, but dousing them and your kitchen’s surfaces in toxic repellent isn’t a healthy solution for the home or the family. Instead, set a line of coffee grinds, lemon juice, cinnamon or cayenne pepper around doors and windows to create an effective barrier they won’t cross. This is one tip I will be implementing immediately. Hubby loves ‘bug spray’ and knows how opposed I am to it because it’s so toxic so this is the perfect alternative.
Problem – Less than pristine kitchen fridge
Solution: Forgotten leftovers can cause a foul odor in your fridge. Clean the fridge drawers and shelves by adding a few drops of natural dish soap to a bowl of baking soda and stir until it creates a thick paste. This will remove odors as well as stains left behind from food. Also store an open box of baking soda inside the fridge to help eliminate odors before they start, and replace it with a fresh box at least every three months.
Problem – Cooking Odors
Solution: unappealing cooking odors, such as fish, from spreading and lingering throughout the entire home by upgrading to the Filtrete Odor Reduction Filter. It traps odors and gases from the air passing through the filter and helps keep the home fresh for families and houseguests. We did this when we changed our filter!
*My personal tip learned from my mom – Combine a tablespoon or so of plain old vinegar with warm water in a spray bottle. Spray windows and mirrors and wipe clean with newspaper. Nothing gets ‘em cleaner!
Enjoy Clean, Fresh Air With New Filtrete Odor Reduction Filters!
The new Filtrete Odor Reduction Filter helps removes odors throughout my whole home and improves the quality of the air by reducing airborne allergens like pollen, mold spores and dust mite debris. These particles are actually trapped in the unique two-sided filter, which captures large airborne particles on one side and household odors on the other. I run my furnace fan daily (fan only, no heat) to keep my home’s air quality at its peak! Filtrete Odor Reduction Filters are available at select home centers, hardware and grocery stores nationwide and at these online retailers. Suggested Retail Price ~ $15.99
Features of the Filtrete Odor Reduction Filter from 3M
- 65 times more effective than other carbon filters at removing odors
- Activated carbon removes odors such as: pet, smoke, cooking, mildew, and cleaning chemicals
- The Filtrete Odor Reduction Filter also help maintain airflow in heating and cooling systems, which may help prevent stress on the system and reduce the amount of energy needed to reach desired indoor air temperatures. Other electrostatically charged filters with similar ratings are tightly woven and may restrict airflow in the heating and cooling system. This may cause the system to work harder and run longer.
- Lasts up to three months for odor removal and particle capture from the air passing through the filter – The United States Environmental Protection Agency recommends changing the filter every three months ². An easy way to remember to change your filter is to do so at the start of ever season. Hubby changed ours on June 21st, the first day of summer!
- Odors are removed within minutes of your furnace fan being started
- Captures large airborne allergens such as household dust, pollen, mold spores and dust mite debris. Captures microscopic particles such as smoke, pet dander and smog.
Sign up for the Filtrete Newsletter and receive coupons, better home living tips, filter change reminders and more sent right your inbox.
I wrote this review while participating in a blog tour by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Filtrete and received a promotional item to thank me for taking the time to participate.
¹ U.S. Environmental Protection Agency: http://www.epa.gov/iaq/voc.html
² U.S. Environmental Protection Agency: http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/d0cf6618525a9efb85257359003fb69d/12442b82bfbd8047852575b4005722bd!OpenDocument